Monday, March 31, 2008

Is this work? or still just having fun?

Day 3 - Monday, March 31, 2008

More pictures to come soon I promise, including some of our host families. You'll like them I'm sure.

(Don't be disappointed, but it's late, so this is the brief version. I have a feeling this will be the norm...)

Today we did three official things:
1 - Attended and spoke briefly at Stockton Delta Rotary
2 - Motor cruised up the San Joaquin river to see Stockton from the water
3 - Attended a Jazz performance that was part of the Bruebeck festival

Some quick notes:
1 - Local councillor Clem Lee spoke about the problem of dealing with graffiti. They spend $1million a year here cleaning up graffiti in a city of under 300,000. Anyone got any idea how much it costs in Hobart or Glenorchy? They don't have any designated walls for youths to paint. We wondered about that.
Having Clem at he meeting was hilarious for Sarah and I because we'd heard a story just the night before from her host family about how Scott was mistaken for Clem in the street. A - they aren't remotely similar. B - We knew the name of one official in the whole city, and we met him the very next day! Maybe this place is actually Devonport in disguise...


Michelle at Stockton Delta Rotary

We also heard from a group who are part of the County Education Department that organise work experience for students with disabilities and eventually get them a job. Good project. More up Michelle's alley though, so I'll let her talk about it later.

Those in Rotary would know about Rotary fine sessions. One member got fined $50 dollars! I nearly fell off my chair. Apparently the negotiate an annual fine level here between Sargent and members. But still, $50 is a lot of Sierra-Nevada Pale Ale...

2 - The river cruise was very informative and very, very civilised. (Semi) retired insurance magnate Lloyd (that's Lloyd of Stockton, not Lloyd of the British Capital) was kind enough to have us on board is 40 foot (13 metre) motor boat and provide commentary on our tour. We saw the industrial parts of the port, the housing developments, the hotels, caravan parks, sports grounds... you name it.

The Delta in Stockton

For me, the most interesting was the Delta itself. We are 80 miles (130 km) from the ocean here in Stockton, but we are still on marshy, reclaimed land in the river delta, much of which is below sea level. After the gold rush slowed to a walk, the many migrants from China found work building levies to shape many, many canals. These snake away from the main river to the coast in complex fingers that support agricultural irrigation, recreational boating and tourism. It is impressive. The main river is dredged to about 38 feet (12.5 metres) and there is sufficient draft (draught?) to allow very big freighters up the river. There are 6 in port at present. (someone help me if draft isn't the right word...)

Susan (Michelle's host) & local GSE Coordinator Dave

To be brutally honest, the trip wasn't as picturesque as a cruise on the Derwent, or in Sydney Harbour, but it was a great way to get a feel for the city. Lloyd was extremely interesting, knowledgeable and gracious.


Sarah, Chris, Will on the cruise

3 - Just quickly, Dave Brubeck is a famous US Jazz musician. No, I've never heard of him either. But then he is about 90, and I'm a philistine.... He is an alumni of our local, the University of the Pacific. He has provided funds to sponsor music students to attend UoP each year. Five of them form the Brubeck Quintet. I;m not sure if there are more than five altogether, but there are at least this many.


University of Pacific Faye Spanos Concert Hall

This week the Brubeck festival. There are concerts and events on all week. We went along tonight ant listened to the quintet, and visiting professional jazz musician, and a Russian eight piece jazz band. It was a pleasure. Great improvisation, great skill. Several people made the point to me that jazz is one truly American style of music, and they are very proud of it. I had never thought of that.

The musical director made jokes about Duke Ellington which were very funny I'm sure, but I was too much of a heathen to understand... Where were you Gerry??


Now, does anyone from Australia remember core and non-core promises? Well I also got to experience some non-core GSE activities. In brief, these included:

1 - Shopping for Weet-Bix and Bacon with my host Graham. This was intriguing. We visited Safeway and local supermarket Podestos (run by the former mayor, Mr Podesto).

There are 675 choices of breakfast cereal here, but none of them are Weet-Bix. I settled on "Mini Shredded Wheats New Improved Unfrosted." It absolutely cracks me up that Graham eats the 'normal' frosted (aka sugar coated variety) and I had to by the 'new' unfrosted variety. That's hilarious. And have you ever heard of Cheerios? They look a lot like fruit loops to me... I would assume that they have no redeeming features whatsoever.

Bacon offered just as many choices, and just as little hope for my already expanding waistline. Picture Australian bacon. It has a big oval of meat at one end, and toward the other end it gets skinnier, and has less meat and more fat. Well, over here they chop off the oval end and then slice it in half long ways so that it is a perfect rectangle of rind and fat with the occasion piece of meat scattered throughout...

We settled on Canadian bacon. Graham (a Canadian ex pat) tells me that this stuff doesn't actually exist in Canada, but in the US it looks like a good option. It looks like they've cut perfect round circles of meat out of the good oval bit of the Australian bacon and just sold you that. Much better!
(well, I'll eat some tomorrow, then we'll know...)

2 - Had my first American hamburger. Not bad. Not GodFather monster burger by any stretch, but livable. Was from an independent shop near a Marina and the company was great, so that's a big plus.

Righto, that will do. I'm tired. Is this late night blogging sustainable? I'm not sure... We'll see in a few days. 2:30 last night was too late I've decided. We'll see how 1:30 tonight treats me in the morning.

PS - Thanks for the 10 emails & 3 blog comments we received today. We appreciate it. If I don't write back individually to you, then that probably means that i know you so well that I think I can take your love for granted. Take it as a compliment! Talk to you all soon.

No comments: